martedì 10 aprile 2012

The Right Tattooist (Part II)


Dyani Lao
Crafted Custom Tattoo Designs in All Styles. "Dyani Lao Tattoos You are welcome to experience it".


Jean Pierre Lao is also known in the tattoo community as “Dyani Lao”.  He wouldn’t be considered one who can just trace a design with a tattoo machine. Having a formal art training, Lao is a Bachelor of Fine Arts graduate from the College of Fine Arts at the University of the Philippines Diliman. Majored in Painting, he earned the Best Thesis Award for Tattooing  my Pig ”Sining” entitled ”Ritwal”.

His skills with color, saturation, lighting, texture, and shading are truly top-notch. Maintaining his signature in oriental style, Dyani has a substantial number of clients wanting and waiting to have the “Dyani Lao Experience. Currently he only does custom tattoo designs by appointment.

Check this interview as Dyani Lao talks about his journey, his first tattoo, who influenced him and his advice for aspiring tattoo artists. .

What got you in tattooing?
Since I was a child, I am already amazed with tattoos.  Saw it on "cargadors" at the market near our house in Davao City. There's magic in it for me. Until i was in high school, I saw an actual tattoo session from friends who belong to a gang. It was "jail house style" aka mano-mano. That's when i got the idea of trying it my-self. I was also influenced by rock icons from "song-hits" since tattoo magazines are quite rare those days.

Tell us about your first Tattoo experience? Have you tattooed yourself?
When I was about 16-17 back then, I bought a sticker tattoo of a rose then applied it on my arm. That's what I used as my stencil. Then goes the poking...outline lasted 3 days, because I stopped every time my parents arrived home. I was an out of school youth that's why I have nothing to do at home. So yeah, that's how it started. I colored it after 3 years!

Who are your influences?
I have a lot. My professor in college, Mr. Bob Feleo. Painters like, Bosch, Dali, Munch, Van Gough, Da Vinci, Klimt, Kawasaki, Vallejo, and Ryden.  In tattooing, I like Filip Leu, Horiyoshi 3, Guy Aitchison, Shige, Tom Renshaw, Arron Cain, Anil Gupta, just to name a few.

How do you choose your tattoos?
Personally, I choose concepts that are related to my beliefs. This could be something I consider as talismans or stories I want to record, moments I would like to recall in the future, stuffs like that, symbols. And of course, the right artist who can interpret what ever ideas you have in
 get something posted in Google.

What does a tattoo artist have to focus on? 
Focus on quality. Develop your skills not your pocket. Good income will follow those who don’t hurry getting big buck without learning. Professionalism is about a lot more than getting paid.


How much thought do you put into your ink?
With my clients I see that we meet and discuss first. They should provide me everything I want to know. Then I draw the study for them to approve. Then I schedule them.

What do tattoos mean to you?
For me tattoo is a visual diary. A conversational piece about myth, afterlife, beliefs, talismans, and experiences I had, that I think is relevant in the future. I get my tattoos spontaneously. I don’t plan. I just know when I want to get it when the design shows up in my head.

 If you could tattoo one person in the world who would it be? A judgmental, political entity, a religious icon,  or a celebrity?
I don’t know. Perhaps,  Angelina Jolie. I have a crush on her, that’s why.

If you could get tattooed anywhere in the world, by anyone in the world, where and who would you go to? 
I’ll go to the master himself! Horiyoshi3 in Japan.  Next choice is Fillip Leu from Switzerland or Shige, also from Japan. Getting tattooed by them is like downloading skills, right into your hard drive.

If you are only allowed to make one tattoo in the world what would it be?
Tough question, my dream is to make a body suit with one design and concept. I guess that would be something new. I don't know what it is yet.

What do you think of collaboration tattoos and who would you want to do it with? Foreign and local?
I love doing that, I did it once with a friend. Oman Daluz. I often do collaboration drawings with friends. I really enjoy drawing spontaneously, enhancing my skills and creativity. It's something pure. Just like children's drawings. I'm open with anybody. It's a learning experience, so it's a lot of fun. I don't have any particular artist in mind to do it with though. Hope somebody invites me.

From your point of view, how did tattooing change your life?
I wouldn't know. I started tattooing at a young age and this is the life I planned and dreamed of living. Tattooing is a lifestyle for me, so it's hard to think what would I be without it.

What plans do you have for the future?
I am so conscious on focusing with my color palette and trademark especially when it comes to the level of intricacy of my details. I am hoping to develop a certain style to call my own. I plan on working hard to evolve my style into what I envision.

Email


dyanilao@hotmail.com
dyanilao@yahoo.com
Website












Ato Legaspi
Exceptional Ink on Human Portraits and Wildlife Subjects

Email coupletats@yahoo.com

Art has always been a passion for Ato Legaspi. Back then he used to participate in school contests but never really saw himself pursuing a course in the Arts. He became very curious with tattoos and at thirteen he got his first tattoo done by a neighbor in their kitchen. Who said that after getting one that he’d stop from having more? With this came the idea of buying his own machine and practicing on his own skin. Back then getting a tattoo kit is just like buying a candy from a candy store. It just came with basic instructions on how to set up the machine and which needles to use. But with his talent came out fantastic art pieces one could not even imagine came from an amateur. He never really intended to make money out of it. . For Ato it was just a hobby apart from his full time job as a truck driver in the United States. His appreciation of skin art led him to take his passion to a different level and asked artists there for apprenticeship. He thought that it would help him hone his skills in tattooing.  He went to different tattoo artists but never found one that is willing to give him an apprenticeship.” I do not blame them, teaching your skills to someone you barely know is something you would not just give like that. Also apprenticeship in US is not free, it cost a lot of money!” he said.  So he went back to practicing on his own body which did not turn bad after all according to his friends and relatives. When on vacation in the Philippines he would practice on his relatives, friends and his wife too. Grynne was the second person I did a tattoo for besides myself according to Ato.

Through continuous practice he became better on what he does and thought of charging a little bit just to cover his expenses on tattoo supplies.  What was then a hobby became a source of income for him. He quitted from driving 18 wheelers and found another job that gave him more days off. He finally found a studio that gave him his break. Pleasure and Pain in Easton, Pennsylvania was among the many shops Ato went into to ask for a part time job as a tattoo artist. He did not have a good portfolio to show back then but they trusted him and said that they would give it a shot. After a year he was asked to work full time. In 2009 he started then a promising career as full time tattoo artist. Just recently, he opened his own tattoo studio located in Lucban, Quezon the Infernal Tattoo Gallery.

From 2006 when he first started tattooing and until now Ato never stopped in trying to improve his skills and now he shares his talent and passion with his kababayans. He is now starting to make a name as one of best tattoo artists in the Philippines.

































































































































Nessun commento:

Posta un commento