martedì 10 aprile 2012

The Right Tattooist


Having a tattoo is like buying a car and getting it from the best dealer. Find time to check artists’ works.  Check the artist's portfolio or see a live example. Here’s a list of Pinoy artists who made made a big name in the industry and are being recognized in our country and also abroad. Check out  interviews and stories that I have gathered about them and you might just consider having your tattoo done by one of these artists.
Chris Garcia
Self-taught artist living the American dream since 1994.


As far back as early childhood in Manila, Philippines, Chris Garcia, has always been recognized for his exceptional artistry. But it was during his teenage years when he became fascinated with tattoos and the culture associated with it. The idea of having a permanent work of art on someone amazed him and fueled his desire to learn tattooing.
A true student of his art form, Chris strives to be versatile with his styles of tattoos. However, as a perfectionist he has proven to be second to none in creating portraits and realistic tattoos.

I thought that his insights and experiences would be beneficial to readers who might be considering the profession of tattooing or for those wanting to have a tattoo. During my e-mail interview with Chris Garcia, the artist shared his thoughts on tattoos, greatest influences, how he enjoys his profession and the meaning of tattoos in his life.

When did your journey as a tattoo artist begin?My tattooing career started in 1994. My family and I just immigrated to the US, and out of curiosity and fascination with tattoos, I ordered a cheap tattoo kit out of a mail-order catalog on the back of a tattoo magazine. As soon as i got the kit, I used it on myself. Then one of my friends saw what I did, and he convinced me to tattoo him. Then other people followed, mostly family and friends. In 1996, I was able to get a job at a Ancient Art Tattoo Studio in Virginia, until I transferred to the Virginia Beach studio when tattooing was legalized. I moved once more to Ocean Mystique's Ink Gallery where I remained until leaving Virginia altogether to pursue a new adventure at Club Tattoo on the famous Las Vegas strip. I have always been artistic though even when I was very young. I remember spending a lot of time copying the drawings from Funny Komiks like Niknok, Superdog, etc.

Are there any famous artists, tattooists or not, that have influenced you down the path of your career?
My greatest influences in tattooing are usually the other artists that I work with. I can contribute a major portion of my development as an artist from watching other artists work and from sharing our knowledge and ideas with each other. My motivation for constant growth though is influenced by seeing other artists' works on tattoo magazines and on the internet. There are so many artists out there who are doing really amazing work, and some of the ones that I try to keep up with are Filipino artists, like Oman Daluz and Raquel Natividad.
                                                              
 In finding the right tattoo, what are the things to be considered?
The only thing to remember when choosing a tattoo is that it's permanent. So you have to make sure that whatever tattoo design you decide to get, make sure it is something that you will not regret in the future. People always think that tattoos need to have a profound meaning. Well, it's great if it does, but for me, as long as it's a design that you will enjoy having on your body for the rest of your life, no matter how trivial, then go for it. 

With the influx of artists in the tattoo industry, what advice can you give to those aspiring tattoo artists?
I think anyone who aspires to be a tattoo artist should really have a very solid artistic foundation. Practice your drawing skills and put together a really impressive portfolio of your sketches, illustrations, paintings, etc. If your works are really good, it wouldn't be hard to find a reputable tattoo artist who will be willing to take you on as a student or an apprentice. 

How much thought do you put into your ink?
I definitely put a lot of thought and time into my tattoos before and during the actual process of tattooing. There is always a huge pressure knowing that whatever I create will be on the person's body permanently, that other people will see it, and that my name will be attached to that work. Most of the time, the idea comes from the client, so my job is to turn that idea into an image that will be pleasing to the eye, and I need to make sure that it is something that will look good on the skin. For most designs, it takes me anywhere from 1 hour to 5 hours to complete a drawing. If it is a really large piece like a sleeve or a back piece, it takes me a few days to think about how i will approach the design, and then several hours to draw it. 

When doing the actual tattoo, focus is very important to me. I put as much focus and concentration into a tattoo as I would if i am taking a really difficult math exam. I don't mind talking to the client while I work, and I make sure that they are comfortable, but I do have a tendency to be quiet while I work so that I'm able to give my full undivided attention to my work.

What do your tattoos mean to you?
I only have a few tattoos, but the only one that has a real meaning is my mother's name on my forearm. My mom passed away when I was 12, and she has always been one of my greatest inspirations to work hard and be very good in what I do. I have 4 brothers and we all have a memorial tattoo for our mom.  

If you could tattoo one person in the world who would it be? A judgmental political entity, a religious icon, a celebrity? 
A celebrity. As an artist, I want my work to be enjoyed and appreciated by as many people as possible. I became fascinated with tattoos because I saw them on celebrities like Francis M and Axl Rose. Celebrities have a great influence on the popular culture, and i think that the people who can really appreciate the art of tattooing belong in the popular culture.

If you could get tattooed anywhere in the world, by anyone in the world, where and who would you go to? 
I will go to Switzerland to be tattooed by an American tattoo artist named Filip Leu. Ever since I started tattooing, Filip has been doing groundbreaking work. And even now, when there are so many really talented artists doing mind-blowing tattoos, Filip's work is still untouchable.

What would you say is your favorite part of the job?
"I believe that i am naturally stronger at this style of tattooing because I find it fun and challenging to capture as much detail as possible into a tattoo. I am truly fortunate to do this for a living and the joy of knowing that I have exceeded a client's expectations is the most rewarding part of my job." 

Where do you see the art of tattooing in 10 or 20 years from now?
It would be really exciting to find out what tattooing will be like a decade or two from now. I'm sure that tattoos will continue to be elevated into a real fine art, with more artists really pushing the envelope of what can be done on skin. Better inks that stay brighter on the skin and tattoo machines that are much more efficient and cause very minimal trauma to the skin. Tattoos will definitely be fully accepted in society.

 Do you think it will ever become fully accepted as an art?
There is no doubt that tattoos will become fully accepted as an art. more and more artists who do have formal art training from well know art universities are getting into tattooing. 

 Where do you see yourself in 10 years or more? Still tattooing?
10 years from now, I wanna see myself in my own private studio, doing the kind of tattoos that i really enjoy to do, on clients that seek me out to get the kind of tattoos that i'm known for. I would also like to be able to work just a little less, enough to have more time to hangout with my family. 

Where can we find you?
 I work at Club Tattoo in Las Vegas, Nevada. My website is chrisgarciatattoos.com











Racquel Natividad
First Female Professional Tattoo Artist in the Philippines 


Rakel Natividad’s journey began when she was 20 years old, fresh out of university. Armed with a degree in elementary education, Rakel began to make regular visits to Manila to review for her teaching license. Her true passion, though, is art, and it wasn’t long before her interest was piqued by Manila’s active but still underground tattoo scene. In secret and against her parents’ wishes, Rakel started spending time in various tattoo shops in Recto, schooling herself in the tools and the trade. When her husband sold his Marshall amp to fund her first tattoo kit, Rakel’s path took a decidedly unexpected turn, her adventurous spirit leading her to pursue tattooing instead of the more stable education field.

It turned out to be a fortuitous decision, though there was nothing easy about the new road she was then about to take. Back in 2001, most reputable tattooists were based in large cities, not easily accessible from the provinces, where Rakel lives. Even more daunting, the Philippine tattoo community, at that time, had no female presence. Still, Rakel was firm in her resolve and began to apprentice at the tattoo shop of respected old-timer Mel Lacanilao, who satisfied her thirst for knowledge and prepared her to navigate a tattoo scene that, back then, was definitely a man’s world. Tito Mel provided Rakel not just with practical knowledge, but also a solid work ethic and respect for her chosen craft. He became both a mentor and a friend, and Rakel credits him with giving her the courage and motivation to strike out on her own.

Soon after her apprenticeship ended, Rakel established her own tattoo shop in her hometown of Santa Cruz, Laguna. She also began competing in 2002, becoming a fixture in the Philippines’ tattoo conventions, where, for the next four years, she was often the only female artist in competition. In the comparatively short time that Rakel has been competing, she has won more than twenty awards, including eight National Champion awards and one International Champion award in Saipan. Unsurprisingly, it didn’t take long before Rakel was invited to be a judge at the very same conventions and competitions which she entered as a novice tattoist. In 2003, she became the first female member of the Philippine Tattoo Artists Guild, and is now widely acknowledged as the First Female Professional Tattoo Artist in the Philippines. Increased word-of-mouth soon led Rakel’s work to be featured on various tattoo magazines in the country, her female perspective being a refreshing change from the Philippines’ traditionally male-dominated tattoo industry. Rakel then organized The Ink Poetry Tattoo and Rock Festival in May 2007, the first tattoo convention in Laguna and, thus far, the only tattoo convention in the country to have been headed by a female tattoo artist. It was a resounding victory, with many seasoned and budding tattoo artists in attendance. The success of the convention inspired Rakel to reach out to the newer members of the tattoo community, holding Laguna’s first tattoo seminar on November 2009, where she imparted information regarding proper and sanitary tattoo procedures, career development, and tattoo techniques, hoping to give the younger set the same education and guidance that her mentors gave her. Due to public demand and to further educate the tattoo community, Rakel is bringing her tattoo workshop to other Philippine cities, with Manila and Davao being next on her list.

Today, Rakel is held in high esteem by both veterans and newcomers in the tattoo community. Though she has proven herself many times over, she never stops learning, always eager to improve the merit and quality of her work. However remarkable her achievements have been in her relatively short career, it is certain that Rakel will continue to redefine her role and, by extension, the role of female artists, in the national and international tattoo community. 













Email
            
·         inkpoetry@yahoo.com
Website
·         http://www.rakeltattoo.com




2 commenti: